Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bluebirds to Red Deer


Mountain Bluebird, female.

There's a bluebird on my shoulder, not really, but I did photograph two. Yesterday was a great day for a road trip. Gerald drove me to Red Deer to check out the Western art and Wildlife show that was promoted there this weekend. There were fantastic artists displaying their work but sadly the promoter of this venture changed their venue to a school gym rather than keep it at the proposed Westerner. The change of venue cost the artists dearly, it was hard to find as signage was bad, almost non-existent, and though we found it thanks to google maps, only four other people walked through in the 3 or 4 hours we spent talking to the artists. I felt sad for the artists and hope that the promoter gave them a refund, cause he sure did not do his job drawing people in, seemed more like he was trying to save himself a few dollars rather than doing his best for the artists. Well, thats why we went to check it out, to see if it was worth showing with this company, and I sure got a clear-cut answer on that.

Mountain Bluebird, male.

On the way I got to try out my new camera, a Canon 50D, ohhh-yaaa. It is ever so nice, a 15 pixel as opposed to my ole 6 pixel Rebel, it has more options and is a lot faster, I can now photograph swallows in flight, yay, couldn't do that with the Rebel. I photographed a female Mountain Blue bird on the way to Red Deer and captured the male on our way back. I was excited to see them as last year we had a late storm that wiped out a good portion of the population; the poor things froze to death. I sure hope we don't get any snow storms now. I would like to paint Bluebirds and Yellow Warblers for my upcoming show in Cochrane. Hopefully I can pull it off as its fast coming up. Also my meet the artist day in Donalda is in three weeks, that will be fun as wood carvers will be there as well. I am so looking forward to it.

No comments: