Monday, February 8, 2010

More bird sketches

Yellow Shafted Flicker

Another little doodle. I felt like I had a nice little pencil piece going here then ruined it by adding the color. I believe I may do it over on quality paper yet stick to graphite without adding color. By using these little watercolor pencils I now have a hankering to pull out the good watercolors again but presently I have many acrylic paintings on the go. 




The peacock is an idea for a piece that has been gestating for about a year now. This color sketch has helped solidify the direction it will take. I was going to paint it in acrylic as I already bought the canvas but now looking at the design I just may decide to paint it in watercolor.






3 comments:

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Greetings Teresea,

When I work in pencil and watercolour pencil, it has always been hard to find the balance between the two so that each harmonize, rather then one dominating the other.

I believe it is because of the chemistry of the watercolour pencil, on the other hand when I use colouring pencils that is a true colouring pencil, there appears more harmony between the two.

Your Flicker is very beautiful, even though it still feels unfinished. Upon closer observations, I would like to suggest a very smooth paper for more solid colour and I think doing this will have you feeling more successful about your work.

You have a beautiful blog.

Warmest regards,
Egmont

tess stieben said...

I have not worked much with pencil crayon, and I agree the flicker needs more. I really liked the angle of looking up at the bird, I believe she is worthy of an in depth study.

tess stieben said...

I have not worked much with pencil crayon, and I agree the flicker needs more. I really liked the angle of looking up at the bird, I believe she is worthy of an in depth study.