Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Hare of a Different Color

This morning when I arose snow was gently blanketing the city. Well before daylight finches squabbling over black oil sunflower seeds at the feeder station amused my ears as did the tinkling chirrups of Juncos greeting the morning air. As darkness softened in the subtle morning light I made out a visitor under the evergreen tree outside the sitting room window. Happily he was in no hurry to brave the snow and stayed long after children had passed by on the way to school which gave me the opportunity to shoot through the window when lighting conditions allowed.
Its still snowing steady but the rabbit has hopped on elsewhere.
Bunnikins stayed steadfast with barely a movement all morning in a hollowed out spot amongst the lily-of-the-valley Gerald transplanted under the evergreen tree in July. Next year this spot will be bushier and afford  bunny a bit more seclusion, but for now he seems content.
 This photo was taken the 6th of Oct, you can see a winter coat amid-progress.

 On a drizzly Sept day a soggy looking brown Bunnikins sat at the edge of the lily patch.


Grooming on a warm sunny Sept day. Rabbits tend to be very tidy creatures, I quite enjoy it when they visit. One elderly lady down the street leaves vegetable offerings for rabbits in the cold of winter; her husband in good humour fenced in the flowers they want to preserve for their springtime viewing enjoyment. Early spring when finding food becomes difficult due ice packed snow I've noticed city rabbits will eat the seeds birds spill to the ground.

I wish upon you all generous hugs to warm the heart. Share the love, share the joy.

3 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Great photos, Teresa. Little Bunnikins has coats of many colors. I'm partial to the winter white. He looks so soft and cuddly.

Red said...

Great post on hares. I've done quite a few posts as they are plentiful and they seem to give you a story when you see them.
I've been looking for the scientific explanation of color change and so far can't find anything. If you find any material on color change let me know.

tess stieben said...

I do think with all the rabbits here I shall soon have to do a painting. I agree with you Carol, they do have longer and more hairs in the winter than their summer coat, which in turn makes them look fluffy soft.

Red I don't have any info on the scientific specs of hares but if I come across any I will let you know.
Big hug to the both of you for taking the time to comment.