Monday, February 7, 2011

A Happy Ending

We had a poor wee finch hit the picture window saturday so Gerald quickly put on his boots and went on a rescue mission as the finch had dropped to the snow, and as it was snowing and blowing he would not have survived lying there. We never had trouble with window strikes till we got new windows. I think the UV reflective crap they put in windows these days must reflect the sky too much. Gerald handed me the bird and I held him in a soft towel to warm him a bit then placed him uncovered in a shoebox as I didn't want to overheat him but left the towel under him and closed the lid. There were two holes in the side of the box to let in air and filtered light. I was worried Mr finch would not make it as he was pretty still for quite some time, but after about an hour when Gerald stroked his head he fluttered his wings so we opened the door, held the box open and out he flew to the tree top, I was so happy. So was his mate I am sure, while other finches came and went she held vigil near the feeder waiting, waiting. 

Female finch

male finch

2 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Ohhh, I just love a happy ending! Great shots.

Gary Keimig said...

really great bird shots Teresa