Saturday, February 11, 2012

country adventure

We watched Raven fly in and pick something from the field, which I thought may have been a mouse or vole.
Looks to me though that a farmer has lost his muffin.


Tractors at John Deer Heaven
Love how nature can take back as this tree growing through tractor spokes.

Touch of Red against the blue like a single note.

Ah the weight of the world carried by women, there could be a whole lot said for this sculpture but I shall leave the stories for others to weave.


Years ago an artist friend told me you have truly become an Albertan when you photograph cows. I laughed and questioned who would want to photograph a cow.  Joke is on me as I could not resist.

Donkeys though are different I have photographed them, painted them and thoroughly enjoyed watching them as they are so sweet looking.

A fly-bye shot along the Whitemud. 
Hells bells those are silver balls. Now whoever had the lame-brain idea that this would be a great place for public sculpture? Presently they are dirty from road splash and have a security fence around them as rumour has it some intriguing minds collaborated with fast hands and agility and built a snowman atop these balls. Now I wish I had seen that.
I'm all for sculpture if its placed in an appropriate location. I guess Edmonton has to keep up with Calgary which also has an ill-placed sculpture on Stephen Ave walking mall. Now I do love the tall sculpture on Stephen Ave which though would far better be placed in an open field as the ave is a pedestrian walk way so in winter when these large sculptures become a hazard due falling ice the area gets cordoned off for public safety.  Hmmm, sometimes it seems not enough forethought is put into arts sites regarding safety. I wonder how badly the sunlight reflects off all these shiny balls into driver eyes? 

Personally I feel sculptures like this are better suited away from freeways and placed where they can be enjoyed. I wonder how many people shake their heads and state its just a bunch of shinny ball bearings of all sizes, or maybe marbles, oh look Tootles, here are your marbles.


Enjoy, smile and laugh.
Hugs!

2 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Lots of wonderful shots and an great blog, Tess. Hope things are good with you.

Red said...

I looked at the John Deeres and thought, "They were never red." But I guess some of them rust to pieces.
I think you have new theme...cows.
I have seen a raven with golf balls.
Enjoyed your post.