Saturday, February 18, 2012

Shaw cable interview and exhibitions

I was interview by Angelika from Shaw cable a week ago thursday regarding Feathers and Flash exhibition at The Gallery at Milner downtown Edmonton Library. What a wonderful interviewer, Angelika and team made me comfortable so I quite enjoyed the experience. Feathers and Flash exhibition continues till Feb 29. I was informed the interview would be posted on Shaw cable last friday then be posted online though I've not seen it posted as yet.

Feb 29 a exhibition of work different from that shown at Milner Gallery will be hung at the Carrot Community Arts Coffee House on 118Ave Edmonton. Now the decision making as to what to show and what not to show. Presently my sitting room is wall-to-wall paintings whispering, "choose me, take me"

It takes time exhibiting. First off the work need be created, then photographed which is a lengthy process of getting the lighting even and colour correct unless you have a professional set up. I find midmorning light in winter gives truer colour than later in the day which tends to yellow images, so it may take days to photograph works during the two hour window of consistent natural light. Sculptural works require a different set up than flat works, and once the image is captured its downloaded, checked and tweaked to assertion the "best" Next the lengthy process of compiling submissions which constitute a CV (a list of exhibitions, etc), bio, artist statement of which mine always changes as my work changes which means re-writes, plus the quality images on cd to the size specifications requested, plus whatever else is required. Some places may want a specific write-up about the works and inspirations for them as well as a submission sample of work to check quality. Items are placed in a large envelope, fingers crossed hoping to be accepted and dropped off or mailed. Proceed to studio to create more works till you receive the wonderful "your work is accepted to show" or the depressing "we have had so many quality submissions that we could not accept your work at this time, please do apply again"

Once a show is in the works there is deciding which pieces to exhibit, compiling the info as to title, medium, date, size, and price if for sale. Then the packing, delivering and hanging. Many shows I am in require the artist to hang the show, of which my sweetie excels. I've experienced when shows are dismantled by inexperienced people work invariably gets damaged due lack of forethought in how to properly pack items. I had a show where three paintings came back damaged due being crammed too tightly into a box one against the other with no buffer protection. The sad note is all the packing boxes were left when the show was dropped off yet when we got the works back one packing box was missing. So instead of the work returned in five boxes, they were crammed into four, ouch!
This tends to happen more often than naught, I guess I build too good of boxes as they do disappear at some point if left at a venue. There has been times where we had to scramble to acquire boxes to pick up paintings cause mine went awol even though name and "artist box" are written large and black all over them. There are many aspects to exhibiting than may be realized.

I enjoy having exhibitions as that way more people get to view and enjoy that which inspires, and when the pieces sell all the better.
Smile and a hug.

1 comment:

Red said...

I was nodding all through your post as all the things you say are true. The information is needed to keep track of the art.
There is a danger that the Marjory Wood Gallery may be closed. The nature center is going through a fairly major redevelopment and they are looking at the value of the gallery. I hope it stays and I have told them that.