Thursday, March 13, 2014

Reuse, Recycle, Recreate.

"Sweetgrass Dreams Memory Box"
7.5x7.5x3.25 inch depth
The outside of the box has an etching adhered to it and on the inside is an etching of a small feather and a hand built nest created from sweetgrass. As one can imagine when the box is opened a most delicate sweet natural perfume waifs into the nostrils from the dried sweetgrass.

"no place reveals itself easily, one must sit quiet and breathe in the fragrance" 
21hx10wx10d
Based on the idea of a blackbirds nest I wove an inner nest of plain raffia and the outer nest of green raffia on thin willow branches.

2 comments:

Red said...

Hey that's art that appeals to more senses. I'm going to have to get some sweet grass later on this summer.

Carol Blackburn said...

You know Tess, I would never have known about so many different ways the birds build nests. I guess I just assumed nest were sort of generic. But, I do suppose different birds have different needs depending on where they nest, how many eggs they lay, and so on. Your blog is surely a great place to get this type of education. I love it! I hope things are good with you these days.