Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Eagles begin to gather


While in Broughton Bay area the Eagles were beginning to gather as the red-fish were making their way to the gravel spawning beds. I was lucky enough to get an eagle that had just captured a Chinook.
It was interesting to watch adult Eagles capture a fish from the stream and then entice the juveniles to come gather the fish from them. I watched one mature Eagle catch a fish, wait for a juvenile to come, then the adult released the fish into the stream and re-caught it while the young one watched. Amazing, though I have watched eagles often I had not before paid enough attention to the adult juvenile relationship to realize I was viewing lessons being taught.

All this viewing of birds is an integral part of my job of painting birds and nature. I feel it's essential to spend a major part of our time in the field experiencing excitement and wonder of the natural world and to learn valuable information about the species we draw and paint. When my hubby and I view other artists works we can often pick out paintings created from photos without the real life experience of watching birds and animals behind them.

Learning is a passion as is the art of creating.

Have a wonderful week.

1 comment:

Red said...

You saw something that very few people would see.